Thursday, December 10, 2009

Keeping the Faith

A peace-keeper most of my life, I tend to shy away from controversial subjects in this blog. Unless you’ve caught me in a highly impulsive or passionate moment, you won’t see me expounding here on my religious, moral or political views. I have plenty of each, but I’m here to make friends, not to alienate them.

I will, however, admit to being not a highly religious person, at least not in the organized religion sense. I am, for those who care to know, a somewhat lapsed Catholic, who attends church primarily at Christmas and Easter. I don’t begrudge anyone their own religious beliefs or practices, but at the same time, I don’t want them on my doorstep carrying a briefcase filled with religious paraphernalia.

Whether or not we are believers in Christ or Buddha or Allah isn’t my point. So at the risk of writing something controversial, I will say what I am is a believer in the power of faith.

Faith is not for everyone; I believe that should be one’s own choice. Some people find comfort in the belief that they, and only they, control the circumstances in their lives. Others find equal comfort in their belief that someone else is looking out for them. That someone else has a master plan.

Faith, to the 17-year-old paralyzed in an accident, means he may someday walk again.

Faith, to the middle-aged meth addict, means she may find the strength to fight and regain her life.

Faith, to the young man whose mother has died, means he’ll see her again one day, in some glorious afterlife.

For them, faith may be hopeful. Faith may be healing. For those who choose to embrace it, I believe some sense of faith probably serves a purpose much like science and medicine and therapy.

I admire these people, the ones who possess a strong, silent faith. One that doesn’t impose itself upon others, but simply brings them personal hope and comfort and strength. And though they may sometimes question it—which is inevitable for even the most devout—maybe it’s faith that helps get them through the most troubling times in their lives.

It makes me wonder, sometimes, if perhaps blind faith is better than no faith at all.

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I don't think there's any use in blind faith. I do, however, have a great deal of respect for those who possess what I call true faith.

    Those are the people who believe in their god or their religion after careful consideration, after feeling their way to find the right path for them. Whether that means a lot of religious reading, academic reading, meditation, or any combination, those who've put active action toward determining their faith are the ones whom I really admire.

    I believe people who follow a dogma blindly are no more enlightened or blessed than anyone else who puts no thought whatsoever into spirituality. I don't think someone has to be any particular faith or even have faith at all... but I do think everyone should think about it, weigh their thoughts, their beliefs and work out what's right for them.

    Good and brave post ;)
    VG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry,

    Great post on a touchy subject. I loved it.

    I'm a deeply spiritual person, one who quit practicing the Catholic religion years ago. I'm not anti Catholic, just went my own way.

    Blind faith is absolutely better than no faith at all.

    I don't think that blind faith means anything other that a belief in what/who you choose as your God. It's blind because you can't touch it or see it.

    I've met Alcoholics in AA who were athiests, but they put their faith in the Tables in the rooms to help keep them sober. Not a God by any means, but still faith.

    Sometimes wearing our beliefs on our shirtsleeves could tend to push people away. People who may be looking for answers for their own life. In not pushing these people away, I think we get the chance to pass on a message through our actions and works and if the time is ever right to discuss one of the most controversial subjects, then it presents itself and you let He who you have faith in take over.

    Thanks for the post.

    Your Cousin
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and well-articulated insights, both of you! I see both your points of view (and that's not just the peace-keeper in me)... Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting especially this time of the year! I like also cousin Don's last sentence: you let He who you have faith in take over. In other words, Let go and let God... Merry Christmas, Mom

    ReplyDelete